Happy Sunday! We've been playing around with using more bitters in food to enhance the flavors, so it felt appropriate to add them to a classic weekend favorite. This recipe was inspired by Mark Bitterman's Field Guide to Bitters and Amari and uses our Cherry Walnut Bitters to create fluffy, flavorful pancakes. We made these pancakes for the first time last weekend, and they were so good we made them again this weekend! The acidity and juice from the blackberry compote complements the nutty and cherry base notes of the pancakes. If you want to be extra decadent, we highly recommend the aromatic maple whipped cream as well, which uses our 1889 Aromatic Bitters --it's a great alternative to traditional maple syrup.
If you are looking for a cocktail to go with your weekend brunch, we paired our pancakes with the Churchill Breakfast Cocktail. we also made recently. Happy brunching!
BLACKBERRY COMPOTE INGREDIENTS:
2 cups blackberries
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
AROMATIC MAPLE WHIPPED CREAM INGREDIENTS:
1 cup heavy cream, very cold
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon 1889 Aromatic Bitters
2 cups whole wheat flour (we like King Arthur)
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
2 eggs, beaten
1 3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup Cherry Walnut Bitters
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Make the aromatic maple whipped cream:
- Beat the heavy cream in an electric mixer or with a balloon whisk until the cream forms a soft peak.
- Add the maple syrup and 1889 Aromatic Bitters and beat again until the cream firms up a little more.
- Keep cold until ready to serve.
Make the blackberry compote:
- Add the blackberries, lemon juice, honey, and vanilla extract to a saucepan.
- Heat the ingredients over medium, stirring regularly, until the blackberries begin to burst and the juice infuses into the mixture.
- Once the blackberries burst, take off heat and set the compote to the side.
Make the pancakes:
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking power, sugar, sea salt, and chopped walnuts into medium/large mixing bowl. Mix to evenly distribute ingredients.
- Add beaten eggs, buttermilk, pumpkin puree, melted butter, and Cherry Walnut Bitters to the dry ingredients.
- Mix everything until well combined but still a little lumpy.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium-low heat. When hot, grease with butter.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter or enough to make 6 inch wide pancakes on the cooking surface and let cook until small bubbles begin to form in the middle of the batter. Flip and let the pancake cook on the other side for about 2 minutes. The pancake should be golden brown on the edges and fluffy and light in the middle.
- Serve pancakes with the blackberry compote and a big dollop of the whipped cream and enjoy!
Wanna use homemade bitters like the ones we used in this recipe? Purchase one of our homemade bitters kits now!